The Missouri Student Society of News Design hosts a juried contest to honor excellence in design and graphics. The contest is co-sponsored by the Society for News Design.
Entries must have been published on or after March 16, 2014, and on or before March 15, 2015. You may enter if you are a student enrolled at a two- or four-year college, or if you were enrolled when the work was published. All published student work is eligible, whether done for a student or professional publication or project. Double bylines or “staff” bylines are permitted, except in Division C.
How To Enter
Every individual designer gets one free entry. Any entry credited to a staff rather than a specific person must be paid. After that, most entries are $8 each. Entries in categories A16, A17 and A18, along with Division C entries, are $14 each. Please include payment with entries, unless otherwise arranged with Ying Wu. Make checks payable to Missouri SSND. Purchase orders are accepted. Our federal ID number is 43-600-3859W.
All the print entries and digital entries must be sent through the snail mail and received in Columbia by Monday, March 23, 2015. And all the print entries and digital entries senders must submit the e-form by Monday, March 23, 2015.
The e-form link is: http://goo.gl/forms/g7GCstzarA
c/o Ying Wu
Columbia, MO 65211
Print an entry form (above) for each entry.
Tape the entry form to the upper left-hand corner of the back of each entry. For multi-page entries, please tape the pages together so they can be seen all at once or can be easily turned.
Imagine the judges walking by them on a table, and remember that it’s in your best interest that the entries stay together and be easily navigated. For multi-page entries, please tape an entry form to the back of every page.
For Division C, please make sure each design example is self-contained. For example, if a four-page spread is one example, tape those four pages together. Then clip your examples (up to 10) together and tape an entry form to the back of each.
Division A: Print Awards
Entries are $8 each unless otherwise noted (A16–A18).
The following awards are for work designed by a student, appearing in either a student newspaper or a professional newspaper during an internship.
- A1. Newspaper cover design (broadsheet and tabloid formats).
- A2. Newspaper page design: single inside page or double truck.
The following awards are for work designed by a student, appearing in a student newspaper or MAGAZINE or a professional newspaper or MAGAZINE during an internship:
- A3. Features page design: one page or one spread.
- A4. Sports page design: one page or one spread.
- A5. Multi-page story package (news or sports topic).
- A6. Multi-page story package (features topic).
- A7. Breaking news. A single page or group of pages CREATED ON DEADLINE and published in the news cycle nearest to a breaking news event. Do not enter planned projects in this category.
- A8. Special topics. Submit single page, series or package on the following topics:
- A8a. MH370
- A8b. Ebola
- A8c. Ferguson
- A9. Photo story design: one page or one spread.
- A10. Overall use of photography: one entire issue of your choice.
- A11. Illustration: can be hand-drawn, computer-generated or photographic.
- A12. Information graphics: a single graphic or a combination of closely related graphics packaged together.
- A13. Alternative story format: one page or one spread.
- A14. Cover of a magazine or newspaper special section
- A15. Overall design of a magazine or newspaper special section. Enter one complete issue.
- A16. Overall design of a magazine. Enter three entire issues of your choice. (Three issues constitute one entry, at $14.)
- A17. Overall design of a newspaper: Submit three entire issues of your choice. (Three issues constitute one entry, at $14.)
- A18. Redesign of a magazine or newspaper: Submit one complete issue published prior to the redesign and two complete issues after the redesign. (Three issues constitute one entry, at $14.)
Division B: Digital Awards
The following awards are for work designed by a student or students, published in a student or professional news product or project. Please submit a published URL.
The URL should be either associated with an official publication OR a free-standing project. If the latter is true, please include a one-paragraph explanation attached to the entry form explaining the goals, affiliation and scope of the project.
- B1. Overall news website
- B2. Mini-site/special section of a news website
- B3. Interactive or animated infographic
- B4. Video or multimedia project
- B5. News products appearing on other digital platforms, including iPad, Android and iPhone applications
- B6. Redesign of a news website: Submit the URL of the current published website and URLs of screenshots of at least three separate pages from the site prior to the redesign.
Division C: Student Designer of the Year
Entries are $14 each
- C. Submit a portfolio with up to 10 examples of your work. The work must have been published in a student or professional publication. All work must have been done by a single designer. The portfolio is one entry.
2015 SSND judges
Seth Hamblin: Deputy Global Visual Editor
WSJ.com and The Wall Street Journal
Juan Velasco: Co-founder and creative director of 5W Infographics and former Art Director at National Geographic magazine
Mike Swartz: Partner, Upstatement
Please follow us @sndmizzou